Monday, September 12, 2005

Weekend trip to Sonora


So, I got to make a trip down to Sonora, Mexico this weekend to see an amazing riparian canyon that was full of an astounding mix of Sonoran desert and tropical thornscrub plants, and the riparian lushness of perennial flowing water. I'm not much of a birder myself yet, as I couldn't tell you a raven from a crow, BUT I went along with some pretty experienced birders who got to see a lot of amazing birds too in this place. We left Tucson in the late afternoon and drove down and arrived late to our rondevouz point. We set up camp next to a little pond/lake, ate dinner and fled from the mosquitos.
We were up early the next day to hike into canyon while it was still cool outside. I woke up to a soaking wet sleeping bag. I spent the night outside, without my tent, and sweat my brains out in the bag, it was so warm, but talk about tropical moisture in the air. The water condensed on all surfaces in a thick, wet coat. Of course, it meant it was going to be muggy later on.
We saw some amazing plants too, flowers, butterflies....passionflower, wild chiltepines, bursera, lysiloma trees, even palms, rock figs and organ pipe cactus.
I dozed in the curve of a rock and then when we hiked back to the cars we all took a swim in the lake to cool off. Talk about a nice way to spend the weekend! To top it off, the guy who invited me along is really awsome. Really knowledgable about plants, and birds and all things of the Sonoran desert, really attractive, and REALLY nice. I'm definatley into him.




Sonoran Thornscrub on a hillside Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment